Lisa Lawmaster Hess is a transplanted Jersey girl who has lived in Pennsylvania for most of her adult life.
Did she always want to be a writer? Lisa tells us, “In my eighth grade career report, I declared my intention to become a magazine journalist, but once at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA, I studied psychology and education.” After earning her master’s degree, Lisa worked as an elementary school counselor until June 2012. Now, she keeps busy as an adjunct professor at York College of PA by day, as a community education instructor in the evening, and writing whenever she can.
Lisa’s Published Works:
Lisa is the author of Acting Assertively and Diverse Divorce, both inspired by her interactions with her elementary school students. Currently, she’s at work on a non-fiction book on organization, a sequel to Casting the First Stone and revisions on a novel with a whole new cast of characters. For more information about Lisa, check out her website (www.L2Hess.com) or read her blog (“The Porch Swing Chronicles”) at www.L2Hess.blogspot.com. Casting the First Stone is her first novel.
Fun Facts about Lisa:
- Lisa is an adjunct professor of psychology at York College of Pennsylvania.
- She loves to tap dance but is incredibly rusty.
- Her favorite place to write is on a screened-in porch at the condo she and her husband rent at the beach. Their traveling companion is their teenage daughter, Leah, and there’s usually another teen along for the ride to keep things interesting.
- The title of her blog, “The Porch Swing Chronicles” was born when she wrote the first post sitting on a porch swing at her brother-and sister-in-law’s house one Memorial Day weekend.
- She developed a love of theatre in high school and she still does community theatre shows whenever she can. Currently, she’s in rehearsal for a cabaret that will be performed in April.
- Lisa sings with the contemporary choir at her church.
- Her Snyder County connection is a school counseling internship in the Selinsgrove School District under the tutelage of Wendy Hummel (still a Union County resident).
- Lisa spent six years living on-and off-campus in Lewisburg, PA, while pursuing her BA in psychology and her MS in education at Bucknell. During her final summer in Lewisburg, she worked the early A.M. shift at a daycare and evening hours at the Short Stop Mart, and she recalls more than one occasion in grad school when she was scraping change together to get her staple dinner—a meatball grinder from House of Pizza on Market St. In 1985, a grinder and a soda cost $3.17, a meal she still seeks out whenever she visits Lewisburg.
Thanks, Lisa, for stopping by my blog today and letting us know a little bit about you and your latest work!
Casting the First Stone
Marita Mercer and Angel Alessio are linked by only one thing—a relationship with the same man. When Angel’s husband decides to pursue custody of the child he fathered with Marita thirteen years ago, both women are forced to consider what they will—and won’t—do to protect the lives they have built and the families they have created.