May 9, 2016
DO YOU KNOW YOUR WRITING TERMS?
I often speak at writers’ conferences and present workshops to help those who are just starting out in the writing/publishing world. During my presentations I’ve often stared into the blank faces of newbies who don’t have a clue about what I’m discussing, and I’ve found that it has much to do with their lack of knowledge concerning the writing/publishing business and the many “odd duck” terms we writers use.
For you who are more experienced, this little quiz will be old hat for you. It’s a 20-question matching quiz to sharpen the writing/publishing part of your brain. So, take a few minutes, grab a pen and paper, and let’s go: (Sorry for the misalignment of the list. Parts of the answers in the right column wrap around underneath the first word in the left side of the list. WordPress alignment is the problem.)
- _______GENRE A. $ EARNED AFTER BOOK IS OUT
- _______MANUSCRIPT SUB. B. YOUR NAME PRINTED W/WORK
- _______ QUERY LETTER C. SUMMARY OF BOOK ON COVER
- _______ COVER LETTER D. UNDERLYING MESSAGE
- _______ PROPOSAL E. CLEVER BEGINNING OF STORY
- _______ CRITIQUE/EDIT F. CATEGORY
- _______ REJECTION G. “PLEASE LOOK AT MY WORK”
- _______ CONTRACT H. ALL ABOUT YOU & YOUR WORK
- _______ MARKETING I. “DOES NOT MEET OUR NEEDS”
10._______ PITCH J. SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT YOU
11._______ HOOK K. SENDING IT TO THE PUB. CO.
12._______ STORY LINE L. “ENCLOSED PLEASE FIND …”
13._______ THEME M. $ FOR NOT BEING PUBLISHED
14._______ PLOT N. EARNED BEFORE BOOK IS OUT
15._______ BLURB O. ESSENTIAL REVIEW OF WORK
16._______ CREDITS P. OF THIS A WRITER DREAMS
17._______ BYLINE Q. LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
18._______ ADVANCE R. ACTION IN YOUR STORY
19._______ROYALTY S. WHAT YOUR STORY IS ABOUT
20._______KILL FEE T. GETS THE ATTENTION OF THE
EDITOR OR AGENT
Well, how do you think you did? Here are the answers:
- F 2. K. 3. G 4. L. 5. H 6. O 7. I. 8. P. 9. J. 10. T
- E. 12. S. 13. D. 14. R. 15. C 16. Q 17. B. 18. N. 19. A. 20. M
Montrose Christian Writers Conference
(Horse Facts Blog) www.horsefactsbymarshahubler.wordpress.com
(More Shameless Promotion)
SNOW, PHANTOM STALLION OF THE POCONOS
Dallis Parker copes with bullying at school by dreaming about owning Snow, a wild Mustang, who most folks believe doesn’t even exist. Then she actually touches the horse, and her life is changed forever.